In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
The word "Bible" Congress from the Greek word "Biblia" meaning "Books." It designates the collection of the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments recognized by Christian churches who follow the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Testament is defined as a document disclosing the will of a person; a contract; an agreement; or a covenant between two contracting parties.
The Old Testament is largely an account of God's dealings with the Hebrew people and the revelations of His will to then and through them to the whole race, whereby He binds Himself to take into new and special relationship all who obey His will. The New Testament is largely the fulfillment and enlargement of the Old Testament and gives the account of the promises, agreements, or compacts between God and man, showing the privileges, blessings, and requirements of the Gospel through Jesus Christ.
What is the Bible?
The Bible is God's inspired revelation of the origin and destiny of all things. It is the book that contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of Salvation, the doom of sinners and the happiness of believers.
Names of the Bible
- The Scripture
- The Scriptures
- The Holy Scriptures
- The Promises
- The Oracles of God
- The Lively (Living) Oracles
- The Law of Moses, The Prophets, and The Psalms
- The Law of the Lord
- The Word of Truth
- The Law and the Prophets
- The Book of the Lord
- The Word of God
- The Sword of the Spirit
- The Old and New Testament
- The Word of Christ
- The Word of Life
- The Scripture of Truth
- The Gospel of Christ
General Facts About the Bible
The Bible was given to man through the audible voices of God; of angels; of prophets; of Jesus Christ; and of the apostles.
It came through visions; dreams; revelation; and inspiration.
The Bible was written in three different languages:
- Hebrew and Aramaic (Old Testament)
- Greek (New Testament)
There are two main divisions of the Bible:
- The Old Testament which consists of 39 books
- The New Testament which consists of 27 books
Each Testament is divided into five main divisions:
- The Pentateuch "Five Books of Moses" (Genesis - Deuteronomy)
- The Twelve Historical Books (Joshua - Esther)
- Five Poetic Books ( Job - Song of Solomon)
- Five Books of the Major Prophets (Isaiah - Daniel)
- The Twelve Books of the Minor Prophets (Hosea - Malachi)
- The Four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John)
- The Historical Book (Acts)
- The Fourteen Pauline Epistles (Romans- Hebrews)
- The Seven General Epistles (James - Jude)
- The Prophetic Book (Revelation)